JOINT PRESS RELEASE
ROYAL BRUNEI POLICE FORCE AND AUTORITI MONETARI BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
1. The Commercial Crime Division, Royal Brunei Police Force acting on information received have arrested four individuals for the offence of receiving deposits without a licence under section 93 of the Banking Order, 2006 which carries a punishment of imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years and a fine not exceeding $10,000,000 or both.
2. Preliminary investigation conducted through collaboration by relevant agencies revealed that the individuals have collected large amounts of funds and are promoting a gold trading platform known as Dinar Dirham. The individuals claim that participants will receive a return of between 8 – 15% per month. As investigations are currently ongoing, members of the public are advised to assist the Police and cooperate in their investigations.
3. Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam (AMBD) confirms that Dinar Dirham and its related entities are not licensed in Brunei Darussalam to provide financial services.
4. AMBD would like to remind the public to be careful when participating in any schemes or financial transactions. It is important to check the legitimacy of such individuals or company as well as the inherent risks associated before agreeing into any financial transactions. If the company is based outside of Brunei Darussalam, check with the overseas authority if it is regulated.
5. AMBD would also like to advise the public to deal only with persons that are regulated by AMBD. Members of the public who choose to deal with unlicensed and unregulated persons offering financial services or products may not have the protection afforded under the regulatory framework administered by AMBD. AMBD's regulatory framework aims to safeguard the interests of investors by ensuring that only competent and qualified persons may provide financial services.
6. The list of persons and institutions licensed by AMBD may be obtained through the AMBD App, which can be downloaded free of charge on both 'App Store' for iPhone users and 'Google Playstore' for Android users; or visit AMBD's website at http://www.ambd.gov.bn
Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam
Date: 10 Safar 1438/ 10 November 2016
Ref No: AMBD/COMMS/3
Download Malay version Siaran Akhbar AMBD - Dengan Polis - Skim Pelaburan Tidak Berlesen.pdf
Copyright © Brunei Darussalam Central Bank
All Rights Reserved